If you’re looking for a super simple treat to make with your kids, you’ve come to the right place! These simple, funny face pizzas are a quick weekend snack to make as a family.
Didn’t your mom ever tell you NOT to play with your food? Well, today we’re throwing that advice out of the window and we’re getting our hands dirty! My kids and I had a blast making these silly pizzas.
We hope you will give them a try and have loads of fun too. And by the way, if you want to know why it’s a GREAT idea to play with your food, read on after the recipe!
Super Simple Funny Face Pizzas
- 5 Pita breads
- 1 bottle Tomato pasta sauce
- 250 gr Mozzarella cheese
- 250 gr Gouda cheese
- Pizza toppings of choice
- Cut your pita breads open so you have two flat circular pita pizza bases
- Spread a spoonful of pasta sauce on the pita breads
- Cover the pita breads with a sprinkling of cheese. We like to use a combination of mozzarella and gouda cheese for lots of ooze and lots of flavour
- Add your toppings of choice to make funny faces
- Bake on 200 degrees Celsius for 3-5 minutes. Be sure to keep a close eye on them while they are baking
Tips for Making Funny Face Pizzas:
If you prefer to make your own pizza dough, I strongly recommend THIS Jamie Oliver pizza dough recipe. Do what is easy and simple and will make it FUN to make these pizzas together. If that means buying premixed pizza dough, do that.
The same applies to the pizza sauce here. If you love spending time in the kitchen and you want make your own home made tomato sauce, go ahead! But if you want quick and easy, then just grab a bottle of pasta sauce from the shop.
The options are endless when it comes to toppings. I find that activities like these help my kids be more adventurous in their tastes. When kids get to pick what to put on their pizzas themselves, they are often more willing to try new combinations. Use this moment to encourage your kids to be bold and daring and to try new things.
Here are some of our favourite toppings we like to have on hand when we make these funny face pizzas:
- Meats: Bacon, ham, salami and chicken strips.
- Vegetables: Mushrooms, sweet peppers, onions, olives, carrot, spinach, fresh basil leaves and cherry tomatoes.
- Fruits: Banana and pineapple
- Cheeses: Mozzarella and Gouda cheese.
REMEMBER, you can customise these silly pizzas however you like to. Why not go crazy and make nutella and banana, or strawberries and cream dessert pizzas?! The world is your pizza and you can put whatever you like on it!
Not a fan of funny faces?
No worries! I’ve got you covered. Here are some other options that will be just as much fun to make!
- Monster pizzas
- Funny flower pizzas (Go head and create your own family garden)
- Animal faces
- Colour coded pizzas (Try to create a pizza with toppings of only one colour)
How to Connect with your kids while making these quick and easy, funny face pizzas.
The key with this fun activity, is to give your kids enough freedom to try out new things, explore different tastes and textures and have fun. Try not to micromanage their decisions and give them a chance to try out any combinations they want.
And while you’re at it, try to just enjoy moment with them. Life gets so stressful, and we’re constantly worrying about something. Try to use this moment to be present and think like a kid again. Build your own funny face pizzas and enjoy the precious time you have together.
Remember to post your pics of your own funny face pizzas on the Our Curious Kids Facebook Group, we’d love to see them!